Winter is a time to for coming up with some creative indoor reading activities in our house! I started to brainstorm some of our favorite outdoor activities and thinking about how we could enjoy them inside. And, the snowman story picnic idea was born!
Full Disclosure: I received a copy of Snowman’s Story to review. All opinions expressed are my own! This post also contains affiliate links.
Now, I had another piece of inspiration for this snowman story picnic. I received the brand new book, Snowman’s Story by Will Hillenbrand.
This beautiful wordless book is the story of a snowman who comes to life and reads to his new friends. While he sleeps, a little bunny pops out of his hat and takes his book. The chase begins to hunt down the book and they find that it’s being put to good use. In the end, everyone gets to enjoy the book!
Take a look at the book trailer!
You can even download your own free printable Snowman’s Story game!
Our snowman story picnic was easy to prep.
1. Gather a handful of snowman or other winter related books for kids.
2. Lay a soft warm blanket out on the floor and place your pile of books on top.
3. Next, gather your snow stuffed animal friends to read.
4. Every picnic needs snacks. We made cheese snowmen and drank “snow juice” (aka milk). For dessert we had a bowl of “snowballs” (aka marshmallows).
5. Settle in, read, snack and enjoy!
Where are your favorite places to enjoy great books? Leave us a comment below.
Check out our other fun reading activities to get you through the winter months!
Never miss an awesome literacy idea, sign-up for our FREE newsletter.