Oh those words, “Are we there yet?” In an effort to keep my little ones busy in the car, I’ve been creating some car trip games. I also love to sprinkle in literacy activities wherever I can too. This Are We There Yet Map fits the bill!
Are We There Yet Map
Developing Literacy Skills
Playing with this map helps children to:
- recognize environmental print
- increase directional word vocabulary
- develop comprehension through sequencing events
Creating The Map
Materials: cookie sheet, paper (we used a wallpaper sample), markers, toy cars, magnetic tape (optional)
- Cut a sheet of paper to fit on the cookie sheet.
- Draw a map from your house to your desired destination. Add landmarks that your child will recognize.
- Lay the paper on the cookie sheet. We didn’t have any issues with the paper moving around, but you can attach small pieces of magnetic tape to the back to secure.
- Grab a few toy cars and you are ready to go!
Playing and Learning
The cookie sheet rests nicely on the car seat or in your child’s lap. As you drive, the child can drive their car the same route you are driving. Here are a few questions you can ask to help enhance the literacy learning.
- Which way do we need turn next?
- What stores will we see on our route?
- What letters do you see in that sign?
What car trip games do you like to play with kids?
For more travelling with kids ideas, follow my “Travelling with Kids” Pinterest board.
Follow Jodie Rodriguez @ Growing Book by Book’s board Traveling with Kids on Pinterest.