Finding the best books for kids is super easy when you use the lists that Growing Book by Book creates for you. I make a big effort in selecting high-quality book for kids that kids will love and that adults will want to read to children.
The book lists on this page are organized by topic or theme. You can also find our book lists organized in alphabetical order and book lists by age on the linked pages.—>Book Lists (ABC Order) or Book Lists by Age
Books for Kids by Topic/Theme
If you would like to see the most popular book list on Growing Book by Book, then you’ll want to check out 101 Books Every Child Should Hear Before Kindergarten. It even comes as a printable list that you can share with families.
Build character strengths by reading about each strength. Each list is printable and includes discussion questions.
Or, get the whole BIG list here.—>125 Books That Build Character
Also, check out Books to Inspire Kids to Make a Difference in the World.
New Experiences and Tough Situations
Little ones experience many firsts in their lives from potty training, learning to ride a bike, or a first trip on an airplane. They may also face some tough times and books can always help.
- Potty Training
- First Trip on an Airplane
- Homelessness and Hunger
- Learning to Ride a Bike
- New Baby on the Way
- Picky Eaters
- Making Friends
- First Day of School (Ultimate Back to School List, First Day of Preschool, and First Day of School)
- Graduation (the list is great for graduates of all ages)
- Redirecting and Promoting Good Behavior
- Having a Positive Attitude
- Death and Grief
Science Books for Kids
Start with the Big List of Science Books for Preschoolers where you’ll find books for life science, earth science, and more. Then go deeper into different topics with these specific book lists.
Explore new concepts through stories.
- Counting Books for Toddlers
- Counting Books in the Garden
- Big List of Math Books for Preschoolers
- Halloween (Monsters) and Halloween Counting Books
- Chinese New Year
- Valentine’s Day (Love) and Valentine’s Day Books for Toddlers
Books by Age
I’ve organized many of the book lists by age level for your convenience.
Need a book list sorted by age? We have that too. Check out Book Lists by Ages.
An effort is made to add multicultural books to all of our book lists. But, if you would like a specific multicultural list by age, the lists below are great resources. You’ll also find this post on Finding the Best Multicultural Books helpful.
- Multicultural Books for Babies
- Multicultural Books for Toddlers
- Multicultural Books for Preschoolers
Favorite Topics/Themes for Units of Study
Below you will find popular topics and themes that are often used in the classroom. You will also find lists that make different parts of your school day easier.
- ABC Books
- All About Me
- Back to School
- Basic Concepts for Preschoolers
- Circle Time Books (the best read-aloud books for a circle time setting)
- Comprehension Strategies
- Construction Vehicles
- Emotions and Feelings
- Fire trucks and Firefighters
- Interactive Books and Interactive Books for Toddlers
- Mentoring Texts for Writer’s Workshop
- Post Office
- Preschool Books
- Rainbows (includes a fun reading challenge)
Books to Support Specific Skill Development and Language Work
The lists below will help support developing phonological awareness, exploring how language works, writing techniques, and more.
- Cumulative Tales (great for working on predictability and sequencing)
- Rhyming Books
- Vocabulary Building
If you love a particular fairy tale or familiar book, chances are you can find some variations to go with it.
Books About Food, Eating and Cooking
Yummy books that will inspire cooking with children.
More Great Picture Book Lists
Here are even more book lists that you can access to meet your needs.
- Architecture and Building (great books for the block area)
- Bedtime Books
- Classic Picture Books
- Classic Toddler Books
- Nonfiction Books for Preschoolers
Family Dinner Book Club Book Lists
Would you like to encourage families to read and spend time together? Family Dinner Book Club is a free monthly project that includes great books, themed menu, table talking topics, and activities.
- Inspiring Kids to Make a Difference in the World Family Dinner Book Club
- Around the World Family Dinner Book Club
- Character Strengths Family Dinner Book Club
- Family Dinner Book Club Archives (includes classics and newer releases)
Audiobooks are fantastic for logging more reading time. Listen in the car, the classroom, or at breakfast.
Easy Readers and Early Chapter Books
The world of easy readers and early chapter books is downright mind-boggling. Publishers each have their own leveling system which can make your head spin. These lists will help.
Chapter Book Read-Alouds
These printable lists offer engaging chapter book read-alouds for the entire year.
- Month by Month Read-Alouds for Preschool
- Month by Month Read-Alouds for Kindergarten
- Month by Month Read-Alouds for First Grade
Learn when a new book list is released by joining our FREE Growing Book by Book newsletter subscriber list.—>Join Growing Book by Book