Literacy activities that promote a love of reading just make me beam.
Have you read The Bear Ate Your Sandwich? I’ve got some great activities that you can do with the kids to help celebrate the day with learning fun.
The Bear Ate Your Sandwich Activities and Book
Full Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
The Bear Ate Your Sandwich by Julia Sarcone-Roach is a tall tale of a bear who leaves his home in the forest, explores a city, and stumbles across a sandwich. It’s not until the very end that the reader discovers that sandwich didn’t really disappear because of the bear and that the whole story is just a tall tale to cover up the real sandwich theft.
Now, let’s have some sandwich learning fun. Try one or more of these activities to do after reading the book. Best of all, I created a FREE printable pack of all the activities for you!
#1- Sandwich Beginning Sound Sort
Object: Kids will match beginning sounds with the visual letters that represent those sounds.
Materials needed: 8 paper plates, black marker, scissors, and the beginning sound sandwiches (see free printable below)
- Print pages 4 and 5 of the free download printable.
- Cut out each sandwich.
- Write the following letters on 8 paper plates: m, f, l, e, p, a, j, and c.
- Have kids place the right sandwich on each plate.
#2- Sandwich Letter Jump
Object: Kids will identify letters of the alphabet and build gross motor skills by jumping.
Materials needed: masking tape and the letter jump sandwiches (see free printable below)
- Print pages 7 through 19 of the free download printable.
- Cut out each sandwich.
- Place each sandwich on the ground about a foot apart. You may want to tape them down.
- Have kids jump over each sandwich and name each letter as they jump over it.
#3- Sandwich Trap
Object: Kids will design a trap to catch the sandwich thief.
Materials needed: crayons or markers and the sandwich trap sheet (see free printable below)
- Print page 23 of the free download printable.
- Have each child design a sandwich trap to catch the real sandwich thief.
Take it a step further and have the kids actually build their trap based on their drawing. It’s a great STEM activity.
Ready to get started? You just need to get the FREE printable I created. You will also receive our awesome newsletter.
CLICK HERE to Access Your FREE Sandwich Printable Pack
I’d love to see you using The Bear Ate Your Sandwich activities. Share a picture on Instagram and tag me @growingbookbybook. Happy Reading!