Are you looking for fun summer activities to do this season? I’m super excited to share a series for the summer- Under a Shady Tree Story Time!
Each week this summer, I invite you to choose a great book, head to the park, bring some friends if you like and read under a shady tree. Then, do a fun follow-up activity to build literacy skills. Here is everything you need to know to get started!
Starting Your Own Under a Shady Tree Story Time
Full Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Here is How it Works
The books all with an outdoor theme are perfect for ages 2-5, but you can adapt for older kids too.
Sample Summer Schedule
Setting Up Your Story Time
This can be a very low-cost set of activities if you utilize your local library for the books each week.
1. Decide on a day and time each week you will meet. You will also want to think of a back-up plan day in case it rains.
2. Pick your location. We are choosing a shady tree near a playground in the park so the kids can play afterwards.
3. Get the word out. Invite family and friends to join in on the fun summer activities. We placed flyers in local libraries and grocery stores to help spread the word. Tell guests to bring a blanket to sit on each week.
4. Order your books that you will be reading each week. We are trying to borrow all of ours from the library. I also sought out donations from local businesses and publishers to provide books to give away each week.
5. Before story time each week, practice reading the book to get character voices down and increase your comfort level of reading in front of others. You will also want to gather all the supplies you need for the follow-up activity and have them packed and ready to go.
You are now ready to enjoy your story-time. We hope that this is just one of the fun summer activities you enjoy this season!
Check out more tips on setting up and running a successful story time. Click Here: How to Set Up a Story Time Program