Fall is in the air! The leaves are changing colors and it’s time to break out the autumn activities. Here is a beginning sounds activity that pairs beautifully with Lois Ehlert’s book, Leaf Man. It’s this week’s Virtual Book Club for Kids featured book.
A new season of Virtual Book Club for kids has begun. You can follow along with weekly themes, books, and learning ideas in the private Facebook group. Become a part of the Virtual Book Club group. I’ll be sharing an activity at least once a month for the group too.
Full Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
The Book: Leaf Man
Lois Ehlert is one of my favorite authors for young children. We have enjoyed so many of her books full of wonderful collage illustrations. Leaf Man is a great fall read especially when you pair it with the activity below.
The Activity: Leaf Sticker Tree
Materials Needed: foam leaf stickers, permanent marker, and the picture tree (see below)
Purpose: Kids will identify the beginning sounds in words and then match the sounds to the letters.
- Print a copy of the picture tree. See the free printable below.
- On foam leaf stickers write the following letters: m, k, s, l, t, a, y, d, b, r, h, p, u, w, and z with a permanent marker.
- Show the child the tree and name each picture with her.
- Lay out the letter leaves and identify each letter with the child.
- Ask the child to pick one leaf and find the picture that begins with the same sound the letter represents.
- Place the sticker on top of the picture and repeat.
- When all pictures have been covered, the tree will be filled with fall leaves.
This activity is a fun way to help kids connect letters with sounds.
Get your FREE picture tree to use with the activity.
Are you looking for more ideas to do after reading Leaf Man? Check out this collection of literacy, math, science, cooking, and more below.
But, before you go to check out all the goodies…
Now, time to explore.
- Learning About Letters with Leaves & Falling Leaves Song – Kori at Home
- Teach Basic Map Skills- Extremely Good Parenting
- Letter Recognition Game with Free Leaf Printable
- Leaf Name Sticky Wall – Inspiration Laboratories
- Learn to Write Your Name with ‘Letter Man’ – Chickadee Lit
- Write Your Name In Leaves – Adventures of Adam
- Learning Fun With Leaves – Clare’s Little Tots
- Preschool Printable Counting Leaves-CraftCreateCalm
- Fall Loose Parts Sensory Invitation – My Storytime Corner
- Fall Leaf Auditory Processing Activities
- Preschool Leaf Science Experiment – Preschool Powol Packets
- Simple Preschool Science: Leaf Matching Activity– School Time Snippets
- Giant Colorful Watercolor Fall Leaves for Kids- Toddler Approved
- Basic Math with Fall Leaves for Preschoolers – Views From a Step Stool
- Leaf Color Sorting – My Bored Toddler
- Leaf Art ~ Prewriting Patterns for Fall
- Leaf Tracing Pre-Writing Activity – Books and Giggles
- Leaf puppets
- The Educators’ Spin On It
- Follow the leaves: Cardinal Directions and Map Skills for kids – Extremely Good Parenting
- Leaf Art – Making scenes/people with leaves – Mama Smiles
- Exploring Leaf Shapes – Nature Walk Activity – To be a Kid Again
- Leaf Shapes Fingerprint Activity – Artsy Momma