A little kindness goes a long way. I love when I find books that showcase characters who spread kindness to share with my kids. Today, I’ve got one of those books along with nine ways families can be kind through literacy activities.
The Book: The Jelly Donut Difference
Maria Dismondy has been a Growing Book by Book friend from the beginning. I’ve loved sharing about her books when they are released. You may remember Chocolate Milk, Por Favor! or Spoonful of Sweetness. Her newest book is The Jelly Donut Difference: Sharing Kindness with the World.
The Jelly Donut Difference is the story of a brother and sister who don’t always see eye to eye. But, they both notice that an elderly neighbor is a bit lonely and work together to spread kindness to her life. And, there just might be some jelly donuts involved.
Dismondy delivers a delightful story that will inspire readers to take action in their own lives. The Jelly Donut Difference along with her other books deliver a character lesson through engaging stories that kids can relate.
Listen to Maria read her book aloud in the video below.
After reading Dismondy’s book, challenge the kids to a literacy-related act of kindness.
Literacy Related Kindness Acts
Try one or more of these ideas to spread kindness in the world. All of the suggestions are tied to books and reading. We can do this!
- Leave a book for someone to find. Tuck in this little surprise to spread an extra dose of cheer.—>Give a Book and Treat Kindness Challenge
- Take books you don’t read anymore and drop them off at a Little Free Library, local church, or school.
- Raise money to donate a literacy organization. A few of my favorites include Jumpstart and First Book and Read Aloud 15 Minutes.
- Read to an elderly neighbor.
- Send kindness postcards to strangers using your own art work.—>Kindness Postcards
- Bring your favorite librarians a treat. We like to bring bagels and cream cheese from Panera Bread.
- Make bookmarks for kids to pick up in the library.
- Shop at your local library book sale. You can pick up some new to you books and support the library at the same time.
- Buy a book to donate to your child’s classroom.
Maria Dismondy is spreading kindness by giving away a copy of her new book to a Growing Book by Book reader. Enter below.
Read books and spread kindness!
The Jelly Donut Difference