There are a handful of books I remember reading or that were read to me as a child that are still in print today. One of those is Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile. The book was actually written in 1965 and 57 years later it’s being turned into a movie. Today, I bring you Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile book activities.
Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile Book
Full Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Lyle the crocodile enjoys living with the Primm family on East 88th Street. But, the neighbor, Mr. Grumps, is determined that Lyle belongs at the zoo. Will Lyle have to stay at the zoo or will he be able to return to the Primm family? Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile (purchase on Bookshop by clicking here)is by Bernard Waber.
Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile Activities
Vocabulary in the Book
Discuss the following vocabulary words in the book: distrustful, coaxing, permitted, antique, persuaded, grim
Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile Discussion Questions
- Do you have any animals that live with you? (before reading)
- What are some reasons that Mr. Grumps doesn’t like Lyle? (during reading)
- Mr. Grumps changed his mind about Lyle. Why? Can you think of a time when you have changed your mind about someone after you’ve gotten to know them better? (after reading)
Literacy Activity: Lyle’s Life
Skill: generating rhymes
Materials: printable (included), scissors, laminator (if desired)
Preparation: Print one set of printables for the class. Cut along dotted lines and laminate for durability.
Name and discuss each picture. Each image appears somewhere in the Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile book.
Pull one card, name it, have students repeat, and then have students generate more words that rhyme with the image. Rhymes can be real words or nonsense words. For example, tub rhymes with cub, sub, lub, nub, zub, etc.
Continue with the remaining cards.
Use the printable discussed above for these activities too.
- Work on naming beginning, medial, or ending sounds for each image card.
- Go on an “I Spy” hunt through the illustrations of the book and see if you can find each image in the story. Discuss each scene where you find the item.
Printables to Use with Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile
Grab the printables that go with the activities above. They are a thank you gift for becoming a free member of the Growing Book by Book community.
Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile Movie
And, the Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile movie comes out fall of 2022. Check out the movie trailer below.
Dragons Love Tacos Book Activities
The King of Kindergarten Activities (Book Dive)
Leave a Reply