We love Litwin’s Pete the Cat books for kids. Litwin is the author of the very first Pete the Cat books, The Nuts: Bedtime at the Nut House and Groovy Joe. Today we are exploring one of our favorite Pete the Cat books, Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons. And, we have a fun Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons activities to help practice beginning sound recognition and other skills.
Full Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons Activities
The Book: Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons
Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons: Pete the Cat is wearing his favorite shirt with the four groovy buttons. When Pete loses a button, he doesn’t cry. Goodness no, he just keeps singing his song. This is such a fun book to sing and countdown with Pete as he loses all of his groovy buttons.
Check out the book trailer below. I dare you not to tap your feet while listening.
There are lots of Pete the Cat books on the market. However, in my opinion, the ones that are the best are those that were written by Litwin. Check out Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes, Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes and Pete the Cat Saves Christmas. The other books that were published later don’t hold a candle to these first books.
The Activity: Beginning Sound Button Cover
Materials Needed: free printable playing boards (see link below) and foam circles or real buttons
Just print the free printable playing boards. There are enough boards for four individual players or you could play in teams if you have more players. Each player will also need some “groovy” buttons to cover up the spots on the board.
Announce how the round can be won. You might say it is a coverall in which case every spot on the board has to be covered to win. Or, it might be a “red” round. You have to cover all the red spots to win.
To play, the announcer calls out a word. Each player identifies the beginning sound of the word and then locates the corresponding letter on their board. The first player to correctly cover their board wins!
It is an easy fun Pete the Cat activity to identify beginning sounds. Also, check out our Pete the Cat I Love My White Shoes Activity, Rocking My School Shoes Activity and Pete the Cat Saves Christmas Activity.
Now, it’s time to explore some other great activities and crafts to complement Eric Litwin’s books.
- Lalymom: 3 Pete the Cat Activities
- Playdough to Plato: Pete the Cat Glyph
- The Educators’ Spin On It: Pete the Cat Movement Activity
- The Educators Spin On It: Pete the Cat Inspired Costume
- Still Playing School: Pete the Cat Inspired Reading & Gross Motor Game
- Crystal & Co.: Pete The Cat Math Board Game
- Rainy Day Mum: Pete the Cat Shoe Activities for Literacy
- Toddler Approved: Activities and Crafts for Pete the Cat
- ready-set-read: Preschool Activities with Pete the Cat
- Mama Miss: Button Counting, Graphing, and Sorting
- Inspiration Laboratories: Pete the Cat Button Activities
- Coffee Cups and Crayons: Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons Craft
Get groovy with Pete the Cat!
This post first appeared on Growing Book by Book 11/13/14.