We read a lot! If there is one thing that I like more than reading, it’s bringing a book to life. Today, I’ve rounded up some of my favorite resources for bringing books to life. Plus, I’m throwing in a few more books that are full of reading activities for kids.
*Don’t forget to check out a special giveaway at the end of this post too!
Books You Will Want to Check Out Full of Reading Activities for Kids
Full Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
- I have to start with one near and dear to my heart. I created Read, Create & Share to hold myself accountable for teaching my kids to give year-round and not just at the holidays. This ebook is filled with 12 book suggestions, 12 creative projects, and 12 ideas for sharing those creations with others. See more—>Read, Create & Share
- One of my newest favorites is Exploring Books Through Play by a group of talented bloggers including my good blogging friend Merideth from Homegrown Friends. It includes 50 activities for teaching about friendship, empathy, and acceptance through children’s literature.—>Exploring Books Through Play
- More Story Stretchers is one I used while teaching and it’s still available. It includes ideas for Madeline, The Snowy Day, Owl Moon, and more.—>More Story Stretchers
- Five in a Row is great for homeschoolers. Loads and loads of activities based on wholesome children’s literature. There are several volumes in this series including Before Five in a Row for little ones.—>Five in a Row
- Once Upon a Time in the Kitchen takes children’s classics into the kitchen. I’m a huge fan of book inspired cooking and this fits the bill.—>Once Upon a Time in the Kitchen
- 100 Fun & Easy Learning Games isn’t based on children’s books, but it is full of awesome learning activities and many of them are literacy based. It’s packed with pictures. One of my favorite activities in the book is Muffin Tin Syllable Counting. See more—>100 Fun & Easy Learning Games
- Another one that isn’t based on books, but has lots of alphabet activities is ABCs and 123s. I was pleased to help co-author this one and it’s full of alphabet activities and number play based ideas. See more—>ABCs and 123s
Enjoy finding loads and loads of book based and reading ideas to use with kids.
P.S. Would you like to meet the needs of ALL your growing readers? Join our email list for literacy resources and book recommendations.
Would you like to enter to win a copy of 100 Fun & Learning Games for Kids? To celebrate Growing Book by Book turning 5, we have a GIVEAWAY today. Just enter below.
Turning 5 Giveaway
Tabitha Luczak says
I’d love to see an activity for Follow the Polar Bears. Matilda has loved this book since before she turned one!
Thank you for sharing such fun literacy activities and introducing me to some wonderful new books for young children!
Thank you for all your wonderful ideas – excited to try some out this upcoming school year!
Love your site. These are great ideas!
Great curated list- excited about checking out the literacy centers!
Toni Cintron says
Thank you so much. Wonderful blog full of ideas!
Christine T says
Excellent ideas! Can’t wait to try some
I’d love a fun art activity to go with Rosie’s Walk! Thanks for sharing these great resources and the awesome giveaway!
Kim Vij says
Thank you so much Jodie for including our new book 100 Fun and Easy Learning Games for Kids. We tried really hard to include tons of literacy ideas for kids in a fun way.
Lori H says
Are you my mother by P.D. Eastman or Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy.
I can’t wait to find these resources! I want ideas for nursery rhymes and fingerplays.
Thanks for sharing these awesome ideas!
Jen B says
Love any ideas that do not include worksheets!!!
Jodie Rodriguez says
I agree Jen and this list fits the bill!
Jennifer Borgman says
Your site is great! I get great ideas for the kids here at the library!
So excited to try some of your ideas!
Mandie Genore-Bak says
Always love your ideas & suggestions! This book looks like something we would get a lot of use out of 🙂
Jodie Rodriguez says
Thank you so much Mandie!
My kids love “Going on a Bear Hunt”! I love the ideas on here!
Great ideas here! I love your site.